This release is courtesy of Smith Sports Information.
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - A day after earning her NEWMAC Offensive and Defensive Athlete of the Week honors, sophomore forward Katelyn Pickunka (Westhampton, Mass./Hampshire) was also named the New England Women's Basketball Association (NEWBA) Player of the Week and the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) Division III National Player of the Week.
KATELYN PICKUNKA: 5-9 FORWARD
- Averaged 21.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in a 2-0 week for the Pioneers
- Shot 78.9 percent from the field and 86.7 percent from the free throw line
- Recorded her first career double-double, finishing with 25 points, 10 boards and four blocks in a 72-50 win at Sage
- Led Smith (5-0) to its best start since the 2011-12 season
- Currently leads the NEWMAC in points per game (22.2) and field goal percentage (73.2)
Each Tuesday, the USBWA is selecting men's and women's Division III National Players of the Week. This is the fourth season that the USBWA will recognize national players of the week from Division III. The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations in college basketball and has selected an All-America team since the 1956-57 season. This marks the first time in her career that Pickunka has been honored by the USBWA.