This release is courtesy of MIT Sports Information.
- Score: Cummins/Libao (Redlands) def. Barr/Cauneac (MIT) 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
- Location: Kalamazoo, Mich. (Stowe Tennis Courts)
- The Lead: MIT seniors Tyler Barr (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) and Alex Cauneac (Severna Park, Md.) saw their seasons and their collegiate careers come to a close on Friday night as the duo was edged by Bradley Cummins and Brysl Libao of Redlands 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 in the opening round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Doubles Championship Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Barr and Cauneac took the opening set by a 6-4 score and held a lead in the second stanza, but Cummins and Libao rallied to take the second set 7-6 in a tiebreaker. By then the momentum of the match had shifted and the duo from Redlands won the third 6-4 to win the match and to advance to the quarterfinal round.
- As a doubles team this year, Barr and Cauneac posted a record of 13-5 and posted wins against three nationally ranked teams. In the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association's (ITA) Division III New England poll, Barr and Cauneac were ranked 12th in the region.
- Barr and Cauneac were the first duo from MIT to qualify for the NCAA Division III Doubles Championship since Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman competed in the tournament in 2006.