This release is courtesy of MIT Sports Information.
- No. 7 Wesleyan 5, No. 22 MIT 0
- Records: MIT (13-9), Wesleyan (12-4)
- Location: Brunswick, Maine (Pickard Tennis Courts - Bowdoin College)
- The Lead: In the second round of the 2017 NCAA Tournament, the No. 22 ranked MIT women's tennis team dropped a 5-0 final to No. 7 ranked Wesleyan College in a match played at Bowdoin College. The Engineers end the season at 13-9 overall, while Wesleyan will now face top-seeded Bowdoin in Sunday's regional final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals swept the Engineers in doubles play, including an 8-0 win at No. 1 as junior Dora Tzeng(Fremont, Calif.) and sophomore Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) fell to Eudice Chong and Victoria Yu. Tzeng and Zhu are currently ranked No. 11 in the region, while the Wesleyan duo is the top-ranked team in the region.
- MIT battled in the No. 2 position as the team of junior Sonya Das (Arden Hills, Minn.) and freshman Serena Le (Aiea, Hawaii)lost by an 8-5 margin. Das and Le closed within 6-5 before the Cardinals closed out the match for their third point of the day.
- In singles play, Chong defeated Tzeng in straight sets by scores of 6-1, 6-1 in a battle of the No. 1 and No. 19 ranked players in the region. The final point for the Cardinals came from No. 2 spot as Yu, who's ranked No. 9 in the region, defeated Zhu 6-1, 6-1 to earn a berth in the regional final.
- When the match was called, MIT led by a set at No. 6 singles as junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) took the first set by a 6-3 final. In addition, Das was in a tiebreak with Helen Klass-Warch in the first set at No. 3 singles.
- This marked MIT's seventh NCAA Tournament appearance and its fifth straight as the Engineers are now 7-7 all-time in NCAA play.