This release is courtesy of Wheaton Sports Information.
SCORE: Wheaton 7 - Coast Guard 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-10, 5-3 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (12-6, 4-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Haley Howard of the Coast Guard Academy led all players with the games only hat-trick, while also collecting three groundballs and causing two turnovers in the win. The Bears also received goals from Brenna Farrington (2), Luisa Santos, Marietta Davis, and Haley McCue.
- Wheaton was led by two-goal performances from senior Katie Peters and sophomore Molly Covarrubias. Kennelly Allerton, Lilly Callahan, and Kyra Schwartzman also found the back of the next for the Lyons.
- Megan Hemmerlein led all players with five draw controls, while senior goalkeeper Molly Witten led the field with six groundballs. Witten played the complete game for Wheaton, coming up with 13 saves.
- Mary Budri led the Bears with five groundballs in 60 minutes of action, while coming up with seven saves on the night.
- In a rematch from last Saturday, Wheaton turned the tables on the Coast Guard, jumping out to a strong first half lead. The scoring started two minutes into the contest with a quick put away from Callahan. Peters followed with a successful free position shot less than a minute later, which was followed by a man-up goal from Covarrubias. Emma Ford made it a 4-0 game for the Lyons with a cheeky pass to Schwartzman who blasted the ball past Budri. McCue put the Bears on the board with 9:32 remaining in the half but saw it eclipsed by an Allerton free position shot a minute later. The Coast Guard was able to find space in the final moments of the half with Santos and Howard cutting the deficit to 5-3 at the intermission.
- Davis carried the momentum into the second half for the Bears, opening the new period with a goal with help from McKenna. Covarrubias and Peters responded with back-to-back goals, pushing the Wheaton advantage back to three with 18:33 left in the game. The Coast Guard continued to pressure and find space in the Wheaton defense, which resulted in consecutive goals from Farrington, pulling the Bears within a goal. McCue hit Howard with a pass at the 8:56 mark with the Lyons playing down a man, knotting the contest at 7-7. The game-winner came just a minute later with another Howard goal. Both sides traded shots over the final seven minutes of action with neither side being able to put one away.
- Saves: Wheaton 13 / CGA 7
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 26 / CGA 27
- Clears: Wheaton 9-17 / CGA 17-23
- Draw Controls: Wheaton 11 / CGA 4
- Free Position Shots: 2-6 / CGA 1-4
- Shots: Wheaton 22 / CGA 34
UP NEXT: Wheaton ends the season 8-10 overall and 5-3 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC), while the Coast Guard will now travel to No. 1 Babson on Saturday, May 5 for a 12 p.m. NEWMAC Semifinal game against the Beavers. The winner of that game will take on the winner of No. 2 MIT/No. 3 Springfield on Sunday, May 6 at 1 p.m.